Scoop your spoon right to the bottom to get cream, chocolate and cherry in each mouthful.
Ingredients (serves 6)
500g pitted morello cherries, drained, syrup reserved
300ml thickened cream
2 tsp rum essence
350g bought chocolate mousse
50g-piece dark chocolate, shaved
Place the cherries on a plate lined with paper towel.
Use an electric beater to beat the cream in a bowl until soft peaks form. Add the rum essence. Beat to combine.
Layer the cream mixture, mousse, cherries and a little reserved syrup among serving glasses, finishing with cream mixture. Top with chocolate to serve.
Cook’s tip: To make chocolate shavings, run a vegie peeler along the chocolate.
With a twist: Replace the cherries with a 250g punnet strawberries, thinly sliced. Replace the rum essence with 2 tbs Malibu coconut liqueur.
Replace the cherries with frozen raspberries, thawed. Replace the rum essence with 2 tbs Frangelico liqueur.
Recipe makes 25
4 large Eggs
1 1/2 cup Sugar
6 oz ( 170 g ) Butter
1/4 cup Sugar
1 1/4 ts Vanilla extract
2/3 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
8 oz ( 230 g ) Cream cheese, softened
1 large Egg beaten
1 cup All-purpose flour
1/2 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Fudge Filled Cupcakes Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 F ( 180 degrees.) Line 30 cupcake tins with paper or foil cupcake liners. In double boiler, set over medium heat, melt the 2/3 cup of chocolate chips, butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat. Beat the eggs until frothy, using a whisk or electric mixer. Gradually, beat in the sugar until it dissolves. Gradually, beat in the flour. Fold in the chocolate mixture. Fill the cupcake tins 1/3 full with the chocolate batter. Mash together the cream cheese, sugar and egg until blended. Fold in the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Drop a heaping teaspoonful of filling into each cupcake. Cover cream cheese filling with another generous spoonful of batter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cupcakes cool completely on a rack before storing in a covered container.
New York Cheesecake
You don’t have to travel to the Big Apple to get the best cheesecake recipe. Make it in your own home! This moist cake is just like the infamous slices you get in the city without the hustle and bustle. Its crunchy bottom perfectly complements its creamy cake layer and is simply heavenly.
1 1/2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup ground toasted almonds
3 pounds cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
3 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon, minced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl mix the vanilla wafer crumbs, butter, sugar and almonds. Pat into a 10 inch springform pan.
3. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and cool.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 300.
5. Beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Whisk together until fluffy the eggs and egg yolks.
6. Add the cheese mixture, lemon juice and zest. Beat until smooth.
7. Wrap the bottom of the spring form pan in foil. Foil should reach 2/3 of the way up the pan.
Pour the filling into the pan. Tap the pan on the counter top several times to break up the air bubbles.
8. Place the filled springform pan in a roasting pan. Fill the roasting up with enough water to reach
1/2 way up the sides of the springform pan.
9. Place in the 300 degree F oven and bake for 1 hour. After 1 hour, rotate the roasting pan so the cake browns evenly.
10. Add more water if needed. Bake for an additional 1 to 1.5 hours or until a cake tester comes out clean.
11. Remove the roaster from the oven. Carefully remove the springform pan from the water bath and set it on a rack to cool for 1.5 to 2 hours.
12. Then, move the cake, still on the rack, into the refrigerator. Chill overnight, or for at least 8 hours.