This is one of the most delicious recipes for one of the simplest appetisers – you can’t go wrong.
• 1 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
• 3 tablespoon diced red onions
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
• 2 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 1/2 loaf French baguette or crusty Italian bread
• 3 sprigs cilantro
1. Combine tomatoes, red onion, garlic and basil in a medium bowl. Add 1/2 tablespoon of oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and mix well. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for one hour.
2. When ready to serve, preheat broiler and slice the baguette in 1-inch slices on a 45 degree angle to make 5 to 7 slices of bread.
3. Combine remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil with the garlic salt. Brush entire surface of both sides of each slice with olive oil mixture. Broil slices for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side, until surface
starts to brown. Arrange bread like wheel spokes on serving plate. Spoon the chilled tomato in neatly onto bread slices where they meet at the center of the plate. Garnish with cilantro.