Cracker Barrel Chicken & Dumplings
There are a ton of chicken and dumplings recipes out there, but none ever compare to my favourites. Cracker Barrel Chicken & Dumplings is just like the one you can get at the restaurant, but you don’t have to leave home to get it.
1 whole chicken
3 carrots, cut up
1 yellow onion, minced
4 stalks of celery, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons sage
pepper, to taste
5 quarts water
3 cups strained stock
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sage
2 1/2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons Crisco
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped or 1 tablespoon of dill weed
1 1/4 cups milk
1. Simmer all stock ingredients in water for about 45 minutes.
2. Remove chicken from pot and cool until able to handle. Skin and bone chicken and cut or tear into small pieces.
3. Strain stock reserving 3 cups or so.
4. Add chicken and ingredients list for soup. Bring to a simmer while you are preparing the dumplings.
5. Dumplings can either be made with Bisquick or you make them with the ingredients listed above.
6. Mix dry ingredients and cut in Crisco, using a pastry blender or two knives.
7. Add parsley or dill and stir milk in with a wooden fork. Do not over mix.
8. Drop by large spoonful’s on top of the simmering soup. Simmer 5 minutes with the lid off, then cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes longer. Serve immediately.