Advance Preparation: 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours for the dough to rise
1/2 envelope yeast, active dry (1 1/4 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon molasses
2/3 cup water, warm
1 1/2 cups flour, unbleached all-purpose, plus more for dusting
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons cornmeal, plus more for dusting
1/2 teaspoon salt, coarse (kosher or sea), plus more for sprinkling
3 tablespoons olive oil
black pepper, coarsely ground, to taste
1 tablespoon thyme leaves, fresh
1. Combine the yeast with the molasses and 2 tablespoons of the warm water in a large bowl and let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining water, 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, the whole-wheat flour, 3 tablespoons cornmeal, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to form a dough that is soft and pliable, but not sticky. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic either by hand on a floured work surface, in a food processor, or a mixer fitted with a dough hook add more all-purpose flour, if necessary. It should take 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Use about 1/2 tablespoon of the oil to lightly oil a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, brush the top with another 1/2 tablespoon oil, cover with a dampened kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled in bulk, 1 to 2 hours. Punch the dough down, cover again, and let rise until doubled in bulk again, about 30 minutes.
3. Punch the dough down and divide it into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and keep covered with a damp kitchen towel.
4. Preheat the grill to high.
5. Lightly dust the work surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll out the balls one at a time (keeping the others covered) to form circles 5 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick. Lightly dust the circles with cornmeal and stack them on a plate with a piece of plastic wrap or waxed paper in between.
6. When ready to cook, brush the breads with the remaining oil and place, a few at a time, on the hot grate. Grill, turning once with tongs, until puffed and golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Sprinkle the breads with pepper and the thyme leaves. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 breads serves 6